Monday, August 20, 2007

More On Animal Attacks



One of our fellow Dojo Rats commented on the Bear attack post:
Hand2Hand said...
Like I told another poster to this blog, not all self-defense situations involve humans or weapons. This article shows that.
I had to fight off a pit bull that attacked my new Rottweiler puppy last summer. If not for my training, I'd have been burying my dog.
It's just a shame that the laws about carrying weapons are so draconian in some parts of this country. Those laws don't deter criminals or wild animals - only law abiding citizens.
Thank God that man wasn't attacked by a bear in some state like Connecticut, New York or New Jersey. Otherwise, he'd be in a jail cell for carrying a weapon.
I guess lawmakers in those states would rather have honest citizens get killed than be able to defend themselves.

(D.R.) Well, I haven't wrestled an Aligator or swam with the Sharks, but I have had a few run-ins with animals.
I had to help an old girlfriend move back up from Delhi, California to Portland years ago. I had taken the Greyhound and hitch-hiked down. I found her house, packed her up and we were ready to come back. At the time, I was training for testing and tournament fights, so I took a long run through the Almond orchards one afternoon. As I ran by one farm, I kid you not, three big farm dogs came tearing up the road after me. At first I ran faster, but they kept coming and were closing in. All I could do was turn around and take a stance and let out a HUGE Ki-Ai, to show fighting spirit. The dogs skidded to a stop, and turned around yelping and ran back to their farm. Man, you should have seen me smile! I had the same experiance in a residential neighborhood years later, and the same thing happened.
Now, as far as big, big animals go, I have worked with cattle and horses without trouble. But one time, when I was younger I was building a cabin in the coast range of Oregon and a Bull Elk with two cow Elk came right up on me. My friend had a near goring by a Bull Elk a couple of years earlier, in rutting season they are known to chase people. I positioned myself near a tree, and I couldn't think of doing anything else but singing. So I started singing some song, which I can't even remember now. Well, music did soothe the savage beast and the three elk listened for a minute or so, then tromped off. Later I read that a guy in some Nordic country Ki-ai'ed so strongly, He made an attacking Moose feint. I guess singing worked ok for me. Now, here's a whole different type of animal attack:

Published: Sunday, August 19, 2007 | 1:04 AM ET
Canadian Press
BRISBANE, Australia (AP) - An Australian woman was killed by a pet camel given to her as a 60th birthday present after the animal apparently tried to have sex, police said Sunday.
The woman, whose name was not released, was killed Saturday at her family's sheep and cattle ranch near Mitchell, 600 kilometres west of the Queensland state capital Brisbane, state police Detective Senior Constable Craig Gregory said.
The 10-month-old male camel - weighing about 150 kilograms - knocked the woman to the ground, lay on top of her, then exhibited what police suspect was mating behaviour, Gregory said.
"I'd say it's probably been playing, or it may be even a sexual sort of thing," Gregory said, adding the camel almost suffocated the family's pet goat by straddling it on several occasions.
Camel expert Chris Hill said he had no doubt the camel's behaviour was sexual.
Hill, who has offered camel rides to tourists for 20 years, said young camels are not aggressive, but can be dangerous if treated as pets without discipline.

Sorry Rats, I couldn't resist...

4 comments:

Sean C. Ledig said...

DR,

I like your dog attack story, especially the part about the kiai.

I definitely believe that the voice is a weapon and that this is why the kiai is such a big part of many martial arts.

During the Civil War, Confederate soldiers were known and feared for their "rebel yell." I've read some accounts of the rebel yell by Union soldiers who all described it as the most terrifying thing you ever heard.

The loudest and most disorienting kiai I ever heard was from my first Tang Soo Do instructor, Phil Suffredini. I should note that Phil had training as an opera singer, which helps explain why he had such a distinctive and loud kiai.

I've been told that I have a distinctive kiai, but all I'm doing is a poor attempt to copy Phil's.

Patrick Parker said...

Here are a couple of videos I recently posted about dog attacks.

http://www.mokurendojo.com/2008/03/dog-attacks.html

Anonymous said...

ghd ekffywlg GHD Hair Straightener sqygcchj GHD Australia pxsaqnoq cheap ghd

Anonymous said...

longchamp nktoklws longchamp sale dlssmaxj longchamp bags lklcycud longchamp uk oygprcky longchamp bags uk dpjgmyzj